Sunday 16 November 2014

#BookReview Mayhem by Sarah Pinborough

Mayhem by Sarah Pinborough
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

A new killer is stalking the streets of London’s East End. Though newspapers have dubbed him ‘the Torso Killer’, this murderer’s work is overshadowed by the hysteria surrounding Jack the Ripper’s Whitechapel crimes.

The victims are women too, but their dismembered bodies, wrapped in rags and tied up with string, are pulled out of the Thames – and the heads are missing. The murderer likes to keep them.

Mayhem is a masterwork of narrative suspense: a supernatural thriller set in a shadowy, gaslit London, where monsters stalk the cobbled streets and hide in plain sight.


**********

The story in Mayhem is about "The Thames Torso Murders of 1887-89" with a paranormal twist to it. I didn't know before I read Mayhem that Jack the Ripper wasn't the only killer on the loose at the time. Sarah Pinborough has taken real characters and used them in this book, which was a great move to make. Police Surgeon Dr. Thomas Bond who is the MC in this book worked on the case IRL.

I had forgotten what the book was about when I started to read it. I didn't even check up the book on GR to refresh my memory so I was a bit surprised when the book turned paranormal and frankly I would have preferred an ordinary crime novel instead of paranormal one. But it was a good read, not as good as I had hoped it to be. I would have preferred a real flesh and blood killer instead of what I got. But, I should have checked up the book before I started to read.

But I liked it enough that I look forward to reading the next book in the series! And the cover for the next book is just as gorgeous as this one (yeah I'm a cover junkie)!

No comments:

Post a Comment