Saturday 1 November 2014

Red Blooded by Amanda Carlson

Red Blooded by Amanda Carlson
My rating: 2.5 of 5 stars

Jessica is going to Hell.

After settling a fragile truce between the vampires, werewolves and witches, the last thing Jessica wants to do is face the demons head on. But when the Prince of Hell kidnapped her brother, he set into motion a chain of events that even Jessica doesn't have the power to stop.

Now, Jessica must go into battle again. But Hell is a whole new beast—new rules, more dangerous demons, and an entirely foreign realm. And when Jessica is dropped into the Underworld too soon, without protection or the help of her friends, she must figure out just how powerful she can be... or she will never make it out alive.

**********


The book starts with Jessica trying to prepare herself with some training in magic (with the help from some witches) before she descends into hell to find her brother who has been captured by the Prince of Hell. And of course, nothing goes as it is planned and by sheer luck/mistake does she descends to hell a bit earlier than the witches and she had expected.

Red Blooded is the fourth book about Jessica McClain, the only female in a male race of werewolves. This is the first book in the series that I read so I have a bit of disadvantage in that everything is new to me and it doesn’t get easier that so little is explained. During my reading of this book, I had to gather information about the characters and past experience to make sense of the story in this book.

I can see the appeal of the book, but I think you should start with book one and not like me jump in and read book four. I usually don’t read books in the middle of a series. But Red Blooded arrived home to me as a bit of a surprise and I thought what the heck, it looks like a book that will not take forever to read and it's a paranormal.

Overall the book wasn’t bad, I just got a bit impatient towards to end, but I think it had very much to do with the feeling of frustration that there is so much back history that I didn’t know that mattered to the story on this book. People that popped into the story and you get some info about them but not enough.

Would I read the previous books? Yes, I would, even though that whole heroine, the one in the kind, prophesied to greatness, is something I feel can be a bit annoying. One thing for sure I would rather read the previous books in the series before I would read the next one.

I want to thank the publisher for providing me with a free copy through NetGalley for an honest review!

No comments:

Post a Comment