Saturday 1 November 2014

A.D. 30 by Ted Dekker

A.D. 30 by Ted Dekker
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

A sweeping epic set in the harsh deserts of Arabia and ancient Palestine
A war that rages between kingdoms on the earth and in the heart.

The harrowing journey of the woman at the center of it all.

Step back in time to the year of our Lord...A.D. 30.

The outcast daughter of one of the most powerful Bedouin sheikhs in Arabia, Maviah is called on to protect the very people who rejected her. When their enemies launch a sudden attack with devastating consequences, Maviah escapes with the help of two of her father's warriors--Saba who speaks more with is sword than his voice and Judah, a Jew who comes from a tribe that can read the stars. Their journey will be fraught with terrible danger. If they can survive the vast forbidding sands of a desert that is deadly to most, they will reach a brutal world subjugated by kings and emperors. There Maviah must secure an unlikely alliance with King Herod of the Jews.

But Maviah's path leads her unexpectedly to another man. An enigmatic teacher who speaks of a way in this life which offers greater power than any kingdom. His name is Yeshua, and his words turn everything known on its head. Though following him may present even greater danger, his may be the only way for Maviah to save her people--and herself.

**********

I was intrigued about reading a fiction about a woman that lived at the same time as Jesus did. But I just couldn't really find myself enjoying the story. It started off good, but then it suddenly turned into a historical romance and then I lost some interest in the book. But I did enjoy part of it. But I think I wasn’t really in the mood for a historical fiction/Christian fiction with a dash of romance in it when I read the book and that made the book a bit hard to read. Also, I read the book at a time in my life when I had read a lot of theology book since I was studying it, and I think that affected my mood. And, my main subject of reading material during the year when I read this book had been the years before and after Jesus was born. And, that probably made me a bit over critical at the time.

But, if you enjoy historical fiction/Christian fiction then you will probably enjoy this book. It’s well written, more dramatic than I expected and not as cheesy as I was afraid the book would be.

I want to thank the publisher for providing me with a free copy through NetGalley for an honest review!

No comments:

Post a Comment