Thursday 17 March 2016

Cover Crush: A Dictionary of Mutual Understanding by Jackie Copleton











Erin over at Flashlight Commentary is the one that came up with the cover crush idea and I loved it so much that I decided that every Thursday would I post a cover that I really love. 

Check also out this week's Cover Crushes at 2 Kids and Tired Books 

This week's Cover Crush is A Dictionary of Mutual Understanding. I find the cover absolutely breathtaking. It's the kind of cover that would catch my eye if I would browse books in a bookstore. I especially love the dominating red color and the Japanese woman. Looking closer you can see an airplane in the top left corner. And, reading the blurb is it clear that it's the plane that dropped the atomic bomb on Nagasaki...

**************

'What and how much should I admit to myself, and to others? Should I begin with this acknowledgement: my daughter Yuko might be alive today if I had loved her in a different way?'

When a badly scarred man knocks on the door of Amaterasu Takahashi’s retirement home and says that he is her grandson, she doesn’t believe him.

But if you’ve become adept at lying, can you tell when someone is speaking the truth?Amaterasu knows her grandson and her daughter died the day the Americans dropped the atomic bomb on Nagasaki; she searched for them amongst the ruins of her devastated city and has spent years burying her memories of that brutal summer. So this man is either a miracle or a cruel trick.

The stranger forces Amaterasu to revisit her past; the hurt and humiliation of her early life, the intoxication of a first romance, the fierceness of a mother’s love. For years she has held on to the idea that she did what she had to do to protect her family… but now nothing seems so certain.

We can’t rewrite history, but can we create a new future?

Set against the dramatic backdrop of Nagasaki before and after the bomb, A DICTIONARY OF MUTUAL UNDERSTANDING is about regret, forgiveness and the exquisite pain of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment