Tuesday 29 March 2016

London Rain by Nicola Upson

London Rain by Nicola Upson
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

London 1937. Josephine Tey has been invited to sit in on rehearsals on her play Queen of Scots that is going to be sent live on the radio at the BBC. It's also time for the coronation of King George and the whole city is in a frenzy. But, on the day of the coronation is newsman Anthony Beresford shot in cold blood by his wife. It seems to be an open and shut case, but then another body is found, and the wife denies that she has anything to do with that murder. It's up to Josephine to find out the truth.

I was interested to read this book because the idea of using a real life author as the main character in a book series sounded intriguing and also because I have wanted to read Josephine Tey books, but just never gotten to it.

I had some difficulties to get into the story, mainly because it felt like it took forever to get somewhere and because I felt so much of the time, in the beginning, was focused on the love triangle between Anthony, his wife and the mistress and the love triangle between Josephine and two other women. I think I read half the book before the story really picked up. But, then it got better. I liked the book better as murder case was in focus and the last part of the book in the book was good.

So, this book was not perfect, it started slow and got better. There was, however, some revelation about the characters towards the end of the book that made me want to read the next book in the series.

I want to thank the publisher for providing me with a free copy through Edelweiss for an honest review!

No comments:

Post a Comment