Tuesday 22 March 2016

Gotham Academy, Vol. 2: Calamity

Gotham Academy, Vol. 2: Calamity by Becky Cloonan
My rating: 4.5 of 5 stars

This is a perfect graphic novel for children or YA, and also for grown-ups like me of course. I think one of the reasons I enjoy this series is because Map's reminds me of Jubilation Lee, whom I adore. And, this graphic novel has a lot of Maps in it. Don't take me wrong. I like Olive also, and she has an important part in this volume also with trying to come to terms with her mother's death.

But, it's Map's adventure with Damian Wayne and Robin (well a Robin since it's apparently a group of Robin's now) that really makes this volume enjoyable. Olive is always so serious and Map is instead so wonderfully cheerful and it's a pure delight to read about Map's adventures. It was also nice to see that Map's brother Kyle had a big role also. The more I read the more I feel that this series is becoming a favorite of mine. It's really nice to have something a bit lighter to read now and then.


The art was good, however, the art in the first issue with felt a bit off, (see above) but other than that the whole volume was good. I do feel that it was a bit too fast to read it. Which not necessary is a bad thing, but I do want to read more.



The first volume was good. This one was even better. The stories felt a bit stronger in this one and I never felt like I was missing something like I did in the last volume while I read it.

I want to thank the publisher for providing me with a free copy through Edelweiss for an honest review.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing! So many graphic novels are quick reads, which can be a bummer when you just want MORE!! I do need to read these though.

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete