Thursday 10 March 2016

Hellbound by David McCaffrey

Hellbound by David McCaffrey
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Serial killer Obadiah Stark, aka The Tally Man, is executed at ADX Absolom. The executed is watched my media and relatives of the victim. One of the reporters there is Joe O'Connell who is planning on writing a book about Obadiah.

This should be it, the just death of a dangerous killer. But Obadiah wakes up in an afterlife in his hometown with a wife and daughter. His first instinct is to kill and after taking five lives is his gunned down by the police only to wake up finding everything has reset with no one remembering his killing spree. With this reset is he also faced with emotions he never experiences before...


**********

The idea of this book sounded so interesting that I just had to read the book. Reading about a serial killer that is waking up in some kind of afterlife like it's Groundhog day sounded too fascinating to pass on. The book has two points of views, one is Obadiah in the afterlife and the other is Joe O'Connell investigating Obadiah and the irregularities with his death. There is also spread out through the books fact about Obadiah life and killings and interview pieces with Obadiah, etc.

I found the factual parts of the books to be a bit of a hinder while reading the book, I felt interrupted every time I came to another part of facts discussing Obadiah. It would have been better if the information had been included in the story instead of being separate parts. I also had some difficulties getting interested in Joe O'Connell storyline. It got better when he was closing in on the truth about what was really going on. Obadiah's part was defiantly the best part of the book. Reading about a serial killer in the afterlife or purgatory or whatever he has gotten to was interesting. Especially since he just isn't a likable character, this isn't a bad boy who has done some wrong in life, this is a dangerous serial killer that starts off a new life with a killing spree. And the factual part really showed what a dangerous person he was. That, at least, I can say to its advantage, the factual part truly showed what kind of man Obadiah was.

I liked the ending the best, I guessed it would turn out something like that although I had no idea about everything that happened towards the end and I was truly surprised by the end twist. I had never in a million years expected that ending. 

It was an interesting and different book to read and I hope to read more from David McCaffrey!

I received a copy of this book from the author and Booklover Catlady Publicity in return for a fair and honest review, many thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment