Tuesday 22 March 2016

Far From True by Linwood Barcley

Far From True by Linwood Barclay
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The screen of run-down drive-in movie theater collapses and kills four people, but was it really an accident? Or could someone have planned it? Private investigator Cal Weaver gets a call from the daughter of one of the victims who thinks that her father's house have been broken into. In the house, they find a secret room where it's quite clear that salacious activities have taken place, they also discover that there are missing DVDs. Could the burglar have taken them and why? Meanwhile, Detective Barry Duckworth is trying to solve two murders that seem to be connected with each other.

Far From True is the sequel to the thrilling Broken Promise and I was very eager to start reading this book. What I like with Linwood Barclay's Promise Falls series is that there are a lot of things going one in the books. Some of the storylines are connected with each other, some get answered in one book, while some span over the books, like the connected murders that were discovered in the first book, and that storyline is part of this book and will be part of the next. I do recommend reading Too Close to Home before reading this series because that book's story also takes place in Promise Falls and the events taken place in Too Close to Home has ramifications on the town and it's people. And, it's darn good book so read it. Also, I would recommend not reading this book without having read the previous one. I read the first book last year, but I still had some trouble getting into the book and its characters stories. It took some time for me to place them all and get my bearing.

It's a thick book, but much is happening and it's never a dull moment in the book. Although I felt that I could get a bit frustrated with the book, not in a bad way, more I want some storylines to have more focus like the serial killer storyline and less about the couple that wants to kidnap their grandchild. But, the last 100 pages is really good when (some) answers are given to the reader. But, the ending almost broke me. It was intense, I turned the page, it was just a line and then I turned the page and the next page was blank. The book had ended and then it was just acknowledgment and the first chapter of the next book. I wanted to scream!

I recommend this series very much. Do you like Harlan Coben? Then you will love Linwood Barcley's books!

I want to thank the publisher for providing me with a free copy through NetGalley for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment