Wednesday 21 September 2016

My Husband's Son by Deborah O'Connor

My Husband's Son by Deborah O'Connor
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Heidi and Jason aren't like other couples.

Six years ago, Heidi's daughter was murdered. A year later, Jason's son Barney disappeared. Their shared loss brought them together.

By chance, Heidi meets a boy she's certain is Barney.

But Jason is equally convinced it's not him.

Is Heidi mad? Or is Jason hiding something? And can their fragile marriage survive Heidi's newfound quest for the truth . . .

**********

I started to read this book this summer, but it just didn't work for me. I think it was mostly Heidi that just didn't rub me the right way, and the stupid things she did. I know that she is a damaged individual. Losing one's daughter, and in that way is, without a doubt, one of the worst things that could happen to someone. But, her obsession makes her do really irrational things, and I found myself more and more annoyed with her and lost interest in the book.

But, I gave the book another chance a couple of days ago, just to see if it would work better for me. I still found Heidi's action questionable, but the story felt better, this time, and I even started to enjoy reading the book. I particularly started to like the story when the truth about what really happened when Barney disappeared was revealed, or rather the events leading to the truth being revealed. And, this book has one of the biggest WTF ending ever. I can't say I like the ending, but it sure was surprising and very daring.

I'm glad I gave the book another chance, the characters in this book are complicated and flawed, and so very human. I may not like Heidi very much, but I can understand some of her actions, and other, well I'm not sure I could live with some of them...

I want to thank Bonnier Publishing for providing me with a free copy through Netgalley for an honest review!

1 comment:

  1. I gave this book 3 stars too. I started off enjoying it and liked the storyline but I felt the same way - Heidi was really frustrating and I felt the ending was unbelievable (and not really in a good way!).

    ReplyDelete