Wednesday 14 September 2016

The House on Sunset Lake by Tasmina Perry

The House on Sunset Lake by Tasmina Perry
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Casa D'Or, the mysterious plantation house on Sunset Lake, has been in the Wyatt family for over fifty years. Jennifer Wyatt returns there from university full of hope, as summer by the lake stretches ahead of her. Yet by the time it is over her heart will be broken, her family in tatters, her dreams long gone.

Twenty years later, Casa D'Or stands neglected, a victim of tragic events. Jennifer has closed the door on her past. Then Jim, the man she met and fell in love with that magical summer, comes back into her life, with a plan to return Casa D'Or to its former glory. Their reunion will stir up old ghosts for both of them, and reveal the dark secrets the house still holds close...



********

The House on Sunset Lake is a wonderfully written story about young love, destructive secrets, and second chances. I was quickly drawn into the story and I found both storylines equally interesting. Jim Johnson has never really gotten over his first love when he travels to America to oversee the transformation of Casa D'Or from a family home to hotel. But, a chance meeting with Jennifer brings the memories of a summer 20 years back to him and is there a second chance for them or have too much time gone by and are the secrets too dark for them to take on? 

I found The House on Sunset Lake to be an interesting book, and I liked how two grown people got the chance to reconnect 20 years later after falling madly in love when they were young. It's also a tragic story, especially towards the end of the book when so much is revealed, like why Jennifer chooses to stay with Connor and marry him, despite loving Jim. I really felt for Jennifer while reading this book, her father barely knew her, and her mother was trying to control her, going so far as lying to her. There is a scene in this book towards the end of the book at Jennifer's birthday party when I just wished that Jennifer would have put down her foot when those close to her tried to make a big decision for her. I got so mad reading that part. And, it's now we are starting to learn what really happened all those years ago. I must confess that I was surprised to see where to story was going...

This book surprised me, it was much darker and tragic than I had expected. But, that's not bad, it just shows that life isn't always a dance on roses.


I want to thank Headline for providing me with a free copy through NetGalley for an honest review!

No comments:

Post a Comment