Sunday 25 September 2016

Time and Regret by M.K. Tod

Time and Regret by M.K. Tod
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

When Grace Hansen finds a box belonging to her beloved grandfather, she has no idea it holds the key to his past—and to long-buried family secrets. In the box are his World War I diaries and a cryptic note addressed to her. Determined to solve her grandfather’s puzzle, Grace follows his diary entries across towns and battle sites in northern France, where she becomes increasingly drawn to a charming French man—and suddenly aware that someone is following her…


Through her grandfather’s vivid writing and Grace’s own travels, a picture emerges of a man very unlike the one who raised her: one who watched countless friends and loved ones die horrifically in battle; one who lived a life of regret. But her grandfather wasn’t the only one harboring secrets, and the more Grace learns about her family, the less she thinks she can trust them.

**********

I believe that we all have different kinds of weakness when it comes to books, some of us have a passion for WW1 books, some of us love time travel romance, some of us can't withstand a book with a gorgeous cover, and some of us loves mystery books, etc...

For me when it came to this book was first the gorgeous cover and then the tantalizing blurb. I just adore parallel storylines with a mystery that a relative or a stranger has to solve in "modern" time. So, I was thrilled to get a chance to read this book.

And, that makes it quite sad to write a review about a book that I thought I would love, but that I just couldn't connect with. Sometimes that happens, sometimes I just can't find myself enjoying a book, despite my deep will to do so. And, this one, oh I wished so that I had found the characters and the story to my taste. But, alas, it was not to be.

For the right person is this probably a great book. We have a woman that is trying to find out more about her beloved grandfather and discovers more than she could dream of. A secret that has been waiting to be revealed. Unfortunately, neither the past and the present story really caught my interest, and the secret was pretty easy to figure out, and there come a time when I thought everything that happens was way too convenient. And, the romance between Grace and Pierre just didn't rock my boat. If the mystery had been more engrossing could I have overlooked the romantic story, but it wasn't and that meant that I couldn't find much enjoyment with the story.

So, this was not the great book that I had hoped it to be, still just because I couldn't find myself enjoying it, doesn't mean that you can't...

I want to thank Lake Union Publishing for providing me with a free copy through NetGalley for an honest review!

No comments:

Post a Comment