Friday 23 September 2016

The Sister by Louise Jensen

The Sister by Louise Jensen
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Grace hasn't been the same since the death of her best friend Charlie. She is haunted by Charlie's words, the last time she saw her, and in a bid for answers, opens an old memory box of Charlie's. It soon becomes clear there was a lot she didn't know about her best friend.

When Grace starts a campaign to find Charlie's father, Anna, a girl claiming to be Charlie's sister steps forward. For Grace, finding Anna is like finding a new family, and soon Anna has made herself very comfortable in Grace and boyfriend Dan's home.

But something isn't right. Things disappear, Dan's acting strangely and Grace is sure that someone is following her. Is it all in Grace's mind? Or as she gets closer to discovering the truth about both Charlie and Anna, is Grace in terrible danger?

There was nothing she could have done to save Charlie ...or was there?


***********

The Sister is one of those books that, despite being good I also want to slap some sense into some of the characters. Let's start with Grace, she's been in a funk since her best friend Charlie died. And, then she suddenly discovers that Charlie had a sister called Anna. But, at the same time, everything in her life starts to go wrong. It was kind of frustrating to read about how Grace life starts to fall apart and she still doesn't seem to grasp that the person most likely behind it all is living with her and Dan. I mean even Dan doesn't like Anna, actually, he is quite hostile towards her. And, one wonders why Grace boyfriend seems to have a grudge with Anna? There comes a moment when I want to slap Dan to towards the end. Then, we have person number three that I want to slap, Lexie, Charlie's mother. But, despite my hostility towards these three characters is the book very good and thrilling to read.

I did suspect the ending, something Charlie said in the beginning of the book, made the little gray cells work harder, so I was not surprised, rather more pleased that my suspicion turned out to be right.

I seem to be a bit harsh when it comes to this book. But, I did find it engrossing to read, sure the characters made me wanna scream now and then, but nevertheless, the book was pretty good. There isn't really a-who-is-behind-it-all-kind of a book, more why-is-the-person-doing-this kind of book. The ending was satisfying and I'm looking forward to reading more from Louise Jensen.

I want to thank Bookouture for providing me with a free copy through NetGalley for an honest review!

No comments:

Post a Comment