Wednesday 21 September 2016

S is for Stranger by Louise Stone

S is for Stranger by Louise Stone
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

There are two sides to every story.

But only one is true.


Sophie wished she’d paid more attention when her little daughter, Amy, caught sight of a stranger watching them. She only looked away for a second. But now Amy’s gone.

No one trusts an alcoholic. Even a sober one. The police are suspicious of Sophie’s tangled story and so is her ex-husband, Paul. Especially when new information emerges that changes everything.

But what if Sophie is telling the truth? What if her daughter really is missing? And what if that stranger at the fairground wasn’t really a stranger at all…

**********

S is for Stranger felt like just the right book for me. I love reading psychological thrillers that make you question everyone in the book and unexpected twists. However, this book just didn't do it for me. First, the big twist, in the end, was so obvious right from the start. Secondly, the plot just didn't make sense, there was one big inconsistency that made me wonder how on earth the editor could have missed that. I may spoiler the book a bit here so just jump to the next paragraph if you don't want to know. Here we go, Sophie's daughter is 8-year-old, she had her when she was at university, but that was 20 years ago? She kept on saying in the book that it was 20 years ago. Made no sense whatsoever...

But, the big problem for me was that the whole story just didn't make much sense, it started off interesting. Is she crazy or is it a conspiracy? Then, I started more and more to lean on one direction because it was so bloody easy to see where it all was leading. There is no twist to this story that is in any way surprising. The book is not totally bad, I liked the idea of the book. And, with a story that would have made more sense, and less inconsistency and a less obvious story could this book have been really good. Now, it just felt like a big mess.

I want to thank Carina for providing me with a free copy through NetGalley for an honest review! 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Magdalena,

    I just checked and I already have this book on my Goodreads 'Want To Read' list.

    I know that reviews can sometimes be quite subjective, as what one person really enjoys another may not and vice versa, however I don't think I shall be in too much of a hurry for this book to get to the top of my list.

    Thanks for for sharing your honest thoughts and I hope that you enjoy the next book you choose, a little more :)

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I thought I would like the book more than I did, but you never know. Sometimes books just donest work out...

      Delete