Tuesday 13 September 2016

The Devil's Work by Mark Edwards

The Devil's Work by Mark Edwards
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

It was the job she had dreamed of since childhood. But on her very first day, when an unnerving encounter drags up memories Sophie Greenwood would rather forget, she wonders if she has made a mistake. A fatal mistake.

What is her ambitious young assistant really up to? And what exactly happened to Sophie’s predecessor? When her husband and daughter are pulled into the nightmare, Sophie is forced to confront the darkest secrets she has carried for years.

As her life begins to fall apart at work and at home, Sophie must race to uncover the truth about her new job…before it kills her.


**********

The Devil's Work is the first book I have read by Mark Edwards, and how I missed reading books by him before is beyond me. The Devil's Work is a haunting, heart-pounding, and very well-written thriller and I will try to write a spoiler free review since I don't want to give the plot, even for a second, away.

To be honest, there were moments in the book, when I did not think I would be able to continue reading the book. Not that the book was bad, more like I could picture how Sophie would slowly be destroyed at her new work. And it was agonizing to read how a childhood dream of working at her favorite publishing company was slowly turning into a nightmare instead. Either is someone out to get her, or she is just being paranoid. The thing is this is the kind of book where one starts to suspect pretty much everyone to being after Sophie if she is not just being too paranoid of course. But, the flashbacks to Sophie time at University points to something bad having happened back then, something that could be the reason for Sophie's life turning upside down?

I thought the twists in the book were clever and, despite moments in the book when Sophie annoyed me (for doing or failing to do things) was this book both engaging and so very, very tragic. My first thought was giving this book 4.5 stars, but looking back and reflecting on the story, and how tragic it was and engaging not to mention the fantastic twist towards the end of the book is sealing the deal: It's a 5-star book!

I want to thank Thomas & Mercer for providing me with a free copy through Netgalley for an honest review!

No comments:

Post a Comment