Tuesday 19 April 2016

A Thousand Yesteryears by Mae Clair

A Thousand Yesteryears by Mae Clair
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Eva Parrish lost her father and her best friend when the bridge in the town of Point Pleasant collapsed. Her mother couldn't stand staying in the town anymore and packed up all their belongings and moved away from the town. Now fifteen years later is Eva back after her aunt has died. Must have changed in Point Pleasant, it's not as prosperous as it was before and the tragedy of the bridge collapse still weighs heavily on the town. Eva isn't sure if she should keep the family hotel that her aunt has been managing since her father died and that she now inherited. And, there seem to be some dark secrets in the town and then there are the rumors and sightings of the Mothman...



I was instantly captivated by the cover and the blurb, especially the mention about the Mothman a creature that I find intriguing. I was quite thrilled when I was approved for the book on NetGalley and couldn't wait to start reading the book. 

And, the book was OK. And, to be honest, is not what I had hoped for. I did like the book. I just didn't love the book or, to be honest, I didn't find the book to be as suspenseful as I had hoped for. And, there are two reasons why: First, it felt like a bit too much drama going on with Eva going back and finding out that her child crush Caden Flynn is still in the town and they meeting up and sparks flying between them. I have nothing against romance, hell, I even find the thought of them together quite OK towards the end, But, the book started off with young Eva thinking about how dreamy Caden was and then a jump in time and there he is all grown up and so is she. And, it just went too fast and felt to predictably. 

Then we have the mysterious killer in the town. It didn't take much time for me to figure out who the person was and that ruined the story a bit for me. I like to be more puzzled over the identity, not figuring it out right away. Although to be fair, the mystery story was not bad and I like the paranormal aspects of it especially the Mothman part. Actually, it's the Mothman that really makes me like this book. Without the Mothman would this just a been a mediocre mystery book. But, the legend of the Mothman just add the special thing I needed to find this book interesting to read.

So, in the end, was this book not as fabulous as I wanted it to be, still it was enjoyable and I would without a doubt, read more from Mae Clair.

I want to thank the publisher for providing me with a free copy through NetGalley for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment